Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Examination
Federal regulations require the following minimum passing scores for the Internet-based TOEFL (TOEFL iBT®) and do not permit the substitution of other examinations for TOEFL.
Internet-based TOEFL Section (Total Score)
|Composite of reading comprehension, listening comprehension and writing
Individual jurisdictions may have different additional requirements. You should review the jurisdiction requirements as well. You can find more information by viewing the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) Licensure Reference Guide.
Submitting TOEFL Score Reports to FCCPT
For instructions on sending your official TOEFL scores to FCCPT, please visit the ETS website.
- FCCPT's Institution Code is 8164, and the department is Undergraduate.
Important: Educational Testing Service (ETS) will not report TOEFL scores that are more than two (2) years old.
- Once FCCPT receives the official score report from TOEFL, it is valid for five (5) years after the original test date. Scores that are more than five years old are no longer valid, and the test must be retaken and passed.
Important: California has no exemptions for TOEFL. All graduates whose first degree in PT was not completed in the United States must take the TOEFL exam if seeking licensure in California.
The federal regulation lists the following exemptions to the requirement to take the TOEFL exam:
- If you have been awarded a bachelor’s degree or higher from certain countries:
- United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada (except Quebec).
- If you are a graduate of a CAPTE accredited program.
If this exemption applies, your school must submit an official transcript showing that the degree was awarded and the date of conferral.
Important: Waiver requirement - FCCPT cannot waive the TOEFL requirement on your file until the official transcript has been received as listed above.