The New York Credentials Verification service is a verification of the authenticity of an applicant’s physical therapist (PT) or physical therapist assistant (PTA) educational records.
Important: Verification is required by New York State Education Department (NYSED)
Verification from a NYSED-approved Credentials Verification Organization (CVO) is required by NYSED when an applicant is seeking licensure in New York. FCCPT is an approved CVO for the PT and PTA professions.
Who should apply for New York Credentials Verification?
A foreign-educated PT or PTA seeking a license to practice in New York State.
What does the New York Credentials Verification include?
- Collection and verification of foreign academic documents: FCCPT requests, collects, and verifies all required higher education documentation on behalf of NYSED.
- Collection and verification of foreign licensure: FCCPT requests, collects, and verifies all foreign licenses held by the applicant.
- Submission of documents to NYSED: Upon collection of all required documents (or after four (4) requests by letter have been made) FCCPT will submit all education and licensure documentation to NYSED.
Important: Read to avoid delays
- NYSED requires that educational and licensure documents are collected and verified in a particular way. FCCPT’s process follows procedures set forth by NYSED. Refer to the Do’s and Don’ts section to learn more about the collection process (below).
- FCCPT, as the NYSED-approved CVO, is authorized by NYSED to request, collect, and verify the education and licensure documents.
- Applicant involvement in the collection of documents is the most common reason for a delay in the verification process.
What the New York Verification service does NOT include:
- This service does not include a Credentials Evaluation.
- Applicants who would like an FCCPT Credentials Evaluation must apply for Comprehensive Credentials Review (Type 1 Review), Educational Credentials Review, or Physical Therapist Assistant Educational Equivalency Review (PTA-EER).
- Important: Applicants who want a Credentials Evaluation from FCCPT and to apply for a license to practice in New York can apply for New York Verification and one of the evaluation services above. However, to avoid delays in your New York service, you should follow the document collection process for New York Credentials Verification; documents received through this process will be acceptable for all services, while documents received without FCCPT request will not be accepted by New York, and FCCPT must request the documents again.
- This service does not include the separate, additional application and forms that are required for licensure in New York.
- Applicants who want to apply for a license to practice in New York must complete the Application for Licensure, and other forms that may be required, and follow instructions for submission to the NYSED, not FCCPT. This application, additional forms, and instructions for completion are available on the NYSED website.
- This service does not include a Health Care Worker Certification.
- Foreign-born applicants who want to immigrate to the U.S. and obtain their license to practice as a PT in New York may also need to apply for the Comprehensive Credentials Review (Type 1 Review). It is recommended that you verify with USCIS whether or not the visa screening is required.
- Applicants who need a Health Care Worker Certificate and want to apply for a license to practice in New York can apply for New York Verification and Type 1 Review. However, to avoid delays in your New York service, you should follow the document collection process for New York Credentials Verification; documents received through this process will be acceptable for all services, while documents received without FCCPT request will not be accepted by New York, and FCCPT must request the documents again.
- This service does not include collection of documents from U.S. education or licensure institutions. The applicant must contact NYSED for instructions on sending these documents.
Before you apply - read the following important information
What you MUST do to apply:
- Complete the online application and pay for the New York Credentials Verification service.
- Complete the following academic and licensing request forms for each foreign school and licensure or registration authority, and mail or fax them to FCCPT.
- Complete and submit a signed and notarized New York Credentials Verification Attestation form with one (1) recent passport-size photo (2 x 2” or 51 x 51 mm).
- Submit a copy of your PT or PTA education diploma(s), degree(s), or certificate(s) to FCCPT, which have been notarized as a true copy of the original.
- Note: FCCPT will accept notarized copies of diplomas, degrees, and/or certificates from the issuing institution, if received with the verification form provided with the FCCPT request letter.
- Follow up with NYSED regarding the timeframes and requirements for applying for licensure.
Additional steps you MAY need to complete:
- If you want a third party (an authorized representative) to contact FCCPT on your behalf, you must submit a notarized Release of Information form.
Important: You must complete the New York Credentials Verification process to have an advisory evaluation report from your credentials evaluation delivered to New York. If you have completed the New York Credentials Verification Process, you can apply for the Duplicate Report as a related service to your Educational Credentials Review or Type 1 Review. You cannot add a duplicate report to your New York Credentials Verification service, as the New York Credentials Verification service does not include an evaluation report.
What you should NOT do:
Important: The applicant cannot be involved in the collection process of the documents in any way.
- Do not send original diplomas or certificates. All documents sent to FCCPT become the property of FCCPT and will not be returned.
- Do not send any copies of transcripts, marksheets, syllabi, or license verifications to FCCPT. Documents must come directly from the issuing institutions at FCCPT request.
- Do not collect transcripts or verifications in sealed envelopes and forward these to FCCPT. Documents must come directly from the issuing institutions at FCCPT request.