Type 1 Certificate Renewal
Important: Please read the information below before applying for a Type 1 Renewal.
A Type 1 Renewal is for applicants who were found equivalent on the Comprehensive Credentials Review (Type 1 Review), and need to renew their Health Care Worker Certificate. If you have not used the certificate within five (5) years of being issued then you must apply for a Renewal.
What does the Type 1 Renewal Include?
- Verification of all PT licenses held since graduation. USCIS requires that all active and inactive licenses, both foreign and from the U.S., are verified by the licensing authority.
- Note: If you have been licensed to practice in the United States, FCCPT will require an NPTE score transfer. Refer to Submitting Documents on instructions for requesting your NPTE score transferred to FCCPT.
- Verification of English proficiency. FCCPT verifies whether you demonstrate required levels of receptive and expressive English, as assessed by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. For Type 1 Renewal, FCCPT must verify that you have passed the TOEFL within the last two (2) years. Learn more about TOEFL Requirements.
USCIS does not require a Re-evaluation of educational credentials evaluated in the Type 1 Review.
How to Apply for a Type 1 Renewal:
- Log in to your existing file using your file number.
- Choose “Add Related Request” next to the completed Type 1 Review service.
- Select Type 1 Renewal from the list of Related Services, complete the online application, and pay for the Type 1 Renewal.
- Complete the applicant portion of the licensing request form and send to all appropriate licensing/regulatory authorities (U.S. and foreign).
Additional Steps You MAY Need to Complete:
- If you want a third party (an authorized representative) to contact FCCPT on your behalf, you must submit a notarized Release of Information form.
- Request an NPTE score transfer, if you hold a U.S. license.
- Refer to Submitting Documents for details on requesting NPTE Score Transfer from FSBPT.
- Contact ETS to have your passing TOEFL scores forwarded to FCCPT.
- Refer to Submitting Documents for details on requesting TOEFL Score Transfer from ETS.
Note: Type 1 Renewal requires a passing TOEFL score obtained within the last two (2) years of application date. If you have a TOEFL score that is older than two (2) years, you must re-take and pass the TOEFL exam and have your passing scores submitted to FCCPT, unless you qualify for a TOEFL exemption. Refer to TOEFL Requirements for details on exemptions.
What You Should NOT Do:
- Do not collect license verifications in sealed envelopes and forward them to FCCPT. These documents must come directly from the issuing institutions.