The Educational Credentials Review is an evaluation that determines whether the applicant’s education is substantially equivalent to the first professional degree of a graduate of a U.S. physical therapy (PT) degree program that has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
To ensure accuracy and fairness, FCCPT uses the Coursework Evaluation Tool (CWT), which has been validated against the CAPTE criteria for PT education.
What does the Educational Credentials Review include?
The Educational Credentials Review provides a course by course evaluation of your educational credentials. The evaluation is completed on the Coursework Evaluation Tool (CWT) that is required by the recipient selected to receive a copy of the evaluation. If a recipient is not selected, the evaluation is completed on the most current version of the CWT.
Who should apply for the Educational Credentials Review?
- If you are planning to reside in one U.S. jurisdiction and are seeking a license to work as a physical therapist in that jurisdiction; or
- If you are allowed to use the review for admissions requirements for some U.S. educational programs; or
Important: You should not apply for the Educational Credentials Review if:
- You are not a graduate of a physical therapy education program, holding a degree in physical therapy; or
- You need a visa screening and Health Care Worker Certificate; or
- You are applying to a jurisdiction that requires Type 1 Certification. Refer to the Comprehensive Credentials Review (Type 1 Review) section of our website for a current listing of jurisdictions that require the Type 1 Certification. Or
- You are applying for a PT license in New York State. Refer to the New York Credentials Verification service for details on applying for licensure in New York.
Before you apply - read the following important information
What you MUST do to apply:
- Complete the online application and pay for the Educational Credentials Review.
- Be sure to check with the jurisdiction for any updates in requirements prior to application.
- You must select an Included Report within 30 days of application if you wish to have one additional report sent to a jurisdiction or other recipient free of charge. If no recipient is selected at the time of application (“None at This Time”), you can notify FCCPT of a recipient for the Included Report, at no additional cost by submitting the Included Report Request Form, for up to 30 days following the receipt of the application.
- If you request a report recipient AFTER 30 days from the receipt of the application, you will have to apply for a Duplicate Report and pay the associated fee.
- If you did not select a recipient for the Included Report, FCCPT will complete your evaluation on the most current Coursework Evaluation Tool (CWT). You will need to apply for a CWT Version Update if you choose later to have an evaluation sent to a state that accepts the tool based on your year of graduation.
- Complete the applicant portion of the academic credentials verification request form and send to all appropriate institutions (U.S. and foreign).
- Complete and submit a signed and notarized Educational Credentials Attestation form with one (1) recent passport-size photo (2 x 2” or 51 x 51 mm).
- Submit a copy of your physical therapy education diploma(s), degree(s), or certificate(s) to FCCPT, which have been notarized as a true copy of the original.
- Note: FCCPT will accept notarized copies of diplomas, degrees, and/or certificates from the issuing institution, if received with the Academic Credentials Verification form.
Additional steps you MAY need to complete:
- If you have a foreign license, complete the applicant portion of the license verification request form and send to all appropriate institutions (U.S. and foreign).
- If you want a third party (an authorized representative) to contact FCCPT on your behalf, you must submit a notarized Release of Information form.
- If FCCPT sends you a request for translation, you must arrange for translation of the original language documents. See Foreign Language Documents for more information.
What you should NOT do:
- Do not send original diplomas or certificates. All documents sent to FCCPT become the property of FCCPT and will not be returned.
- Do not send any copies of transcripts, mark sheets, syllabi, or license verifications to FCCPT. These documents must come directly from the issuing institutions.
- Do not collect transcripts or verifications in sealed envelopes and forward them to FCCPT. These documents must come directly from the issuing institutions.
- Do not send the Attestation forms and copies of diplomas to your schools and request the school send them with your academic documents. This will delay your process significantly. The Attestation form and your notarized copy of your PT diploma should be mailed directly to FCCPT by you (the applicant).